Monday, July 23, 2012

Landon's First Birthday {Sherlock Holmes Birthday Party}

I am so late in telling you about Landon's first birthday! If you know me in real life at all you know I had been planning his party for months ~ I love party planning and celebrating my little man! I wanted to pick a theme that wasn't too popular so I could really be creative with it. Joe and I both love London - we love the food, the people, the layout of the city, the double decker buses, royalty.. you name it! So I decided to play off that and go for a vintage Sherlock Holmes type party.

We had my friend Sarah {who is seriously a genius} design box invitations for us. She designed the invitation so that the details of the party were in a small font and we mailed a magnifying glass in the box for people to read the invitations with. We got so many compliments on the invitations! I am so sad to say that I didn't get our photographer to get a picture of the invitation all assembled but here is the design. I seriously loved it!
My sister helped us rent a clubhouse in Kansas City for the party. We are here for the summer and our families are here so it was perfect. Plus, I didn't have to get my house all clean for lots of guests. That was a big advantage to renting a room! Sarah also designed banners, bottle labels and signs for the party. Everything was in old fashioned plaids and red and white houndstooth prints.
We catered fish and chips from a local pub and my friend Trish helped us get food baskets to put it in. It was really authentic to London and I loved that. We found newspaper liners for the chips from World Market. I really wanted to serve old fashioned Coke out of the glass bottles so we found some at Wal-Mart of all places! I ordered mustache straws from Etsy. They were a huge HIT the entire party!!
 Landon's cake was done by Sprinkled with Sugar of Kansas City. It looked good and tasted even better. I was so impressed that it even had fingerprints all around the sides and bottom. She nailed the theme perfectly! I ordered his first birthday bib from Etsy too. I am going to keep it in his memory box. :)
 I made little goodie bags for the kids with a notepad for "detective" notes and a crayon shaped mustache I ordered from Etsy. I thought they turned out so cute!
 My friend Audrey came and took professional pictures during the party for us. That was the BEST decision because I could really be "in the moment" and I didn't have to worry about keeping my camera with me to document everything. She takes better pictures than I could ever do and she captured so many moments that I didn't even see on the day of the party!
We had such a fun party! The best part was having everyone we love in the same room at the same time to help us celebrate our little guy.

Happy Birthday Landon!!!!

6 comments:

Trish said...

Since I know you in "real life" I do know how much planning you put into this party and it looks AMAZING! Thank you for putting pics up-I've been dying to see them. So sad I had to miss it, but it looks like everything turned out fabulous. We miss you!

Unknown said...

it was a great party!! thanks for asking me to photograph it :)

Unknown said...

It all looks AWESOME!!! You are so creative, the theme turned out so darling. That cake is magnificent!!!

sarah @ life {sweet} life said...

Oh my goodness, everything was adorable!! I still am so in love with that theme, and you did a fabulous job executing it!! And that cake?! Amazing! Landon is such a doll and all of the family pictures are beautiful. Cannot believe he's already one!
PS - thanks for the sweet words - you are too kind!! Loved working with you!! :)

Faulkner's Ranch said...

This is AMAZING!!! Sasha was telling us about this tonight and she said you have to go look at the pictures!!!

What a fun theme! And all the details! Seriously - too cool!!!

Heather said...

Hi I'm Heather! Please email me when you get a chance, I have a question about your blog! LifesABanquet1(at)gmail.com

 

© 2011. All Rights Reserved. | Custom Blog Design By Penny Lane Designs