Thursday, December 8, 2011

Christmas Traditions

It is so important me to provide yearly traditions to our kids at Christmas time. I want them to understand the reason we celebrate Christmas and really associate the holiday with family time. Joe and I had already started some traditions before we had Landon but now we are adding even more for our little family of three.

1. Yearly Ornaments
Since the first year we had been dating, Joe and I have exchanged ornaments. At first we didn't have too much of a "collection" but the idea is that eventually we can decorate an entire tree with our special ornaments. This year we will pick out one ornament for Landon so we can start him a collection of his own. I love the idea of looking over our tree when we're 60, 70, 80 years old and we have hundreds of ornaments (and memories) from over the years :)

2. Christmas Movies
We always watch Home Alone because it's my favorite but I also want to make time for It's a Wonderful Life, The Polar Express, Miracle on 34th Street, etc!

3. Angel Tree Child
I'll be honest, this is the first year we have actually made a point to go adopt a child for Christmas. Shame on us. We are definitely making it a yearly tradition though! This year we shopped for a little boy, 11 months, named Liam! Eventually, when Joe gets out of residency, we want to adopt an entire family for Christmas!

4. Pajamas
Every year we pick out a set of new pajamas for each other that we unwrap and wear the night before Christmas.

5. See's Candy
This is a new one too, we get a box of assorted See's Candies (seems so old fashioned to me :) and eat a piece or two every night leading up to Christmas.

6. Picture with Santa
We just had Landon meet Santa and got pictures for the first time. I loved it!!

7. Photo Christmas Cards
I love, love, love getting Christmas cards. I have noticed that people don't really send out cards like they used to, but I love getting them in the mail. We just sent ours today!

8. Christmas Party
For the last several years we have hosted a Christmas party at our house for Joe's co-workers. I love getting everyone together and we do a Dirty Santa/White Elephant type thing. Such good memories!

What kinds of traditions do you do for the holidays?

1 comments:

Rachael said...

My parents did the yearly ornaments for Robert and I too! I can't find all of them, but I decorate our tree with the ones I can find that I got throughout the years. It's nice because when I put up a tree, I already have a collection of ornaments. I plan to carry the tradition on as well and do this for our kids too.

That's funny about the Pajamas. How did I not know about this one?

We always watch Christmas Vacation every year! I always listen to the Nutcracker at least twice, and we try to go see the ballet when we can. I'd like to alternate between the Nutcracker and another musical Christmas show every other year with out kids.

hhmm... see's candy is so good! But as you know, my big tradition is making an assortment of candy and giving it to my close friends and family. And yours will be on it's way soon! :)

I want to start a cookie exchange tradition. But I don't think I can do it with all the candy making I do. But it sounds fun.

Bob also wants to start a yearly newsletter to send with our holiday cards. I have reservations...

 

© 2011. All Rights Reserved. | Custom Blog Design By Penny Lane Designs