Monday, March 14, 2011

First Trimester Survival Kit

Doesn't it always seem like people get pregnant in waves? I have a lot of friends who are currently pregnant or who are about to embark on trying to get pregnant so I thought I would make a list of all the things I would have used if I had a survival kit for the first trimester. (I'll do my second trimester later - I'm almoooost done with mine!) And I'll be way more prepared for pregnancy #2 now. In 15 years.

1. Unscented Soaps and Lotions
Pregnancy causes a heightened sense of smell and most things with scents will probably bother you.  (Joe got kicked out of bed for eating a graham cracker once - the smell was SO strong).

2. Reusable Water Bottle
 I think it's pretty typical for newly pregnant women to be deliriously thirsty (at least I was and I usually hate water). I got some reusable water bottles to refill throughout the day. For me, I liked having the straw too.

3. What to Expect When You're Expecting Phone App
This is probably one of my favorite things and I look at it several times every day! The main screen keeps track of exactly how far along you are (23 weeks and 3 days, for example) and also gives you an approximate size of the baby. It's SO fun to tell people your baby is the size of a walnut, apple or large ear of corn (what my baby is currently!) Honestly, I bought the What to Expect When You're Expecting book, but I have used this app much more and it gives you tidbits directly from the book every single day.

4. Subscription of Parents and Parenting Magazine
Order them NOW and you'll start getting magazines in the mail in your second trimester. And believe it or not, you will get WAY more excited than when your Lucky used to arrive. Or at least I did :)


5. Snoogle
I hated it when I first used it, then I tried using it again during the end of my first trimester and loved it. Since it's best for blood flow to the baby that you sleep on your left side, this gives you something to hold and keeps you propped up. And I love having a pillow between my legs for back support.


6. BeBand
When the bloat/bump start to form and you can wear your pants, you just can't quite button them this is a lifesaver! I didn't gain any weight during the first trimester but I still couldn't button my pants (???) and wore these almost every day. Actually, I still use mine now to wear some of my "normal" jeans at 23 weeks.
So there you have it - everything to make the first trimester easier (it's the worst in my humble opinion)! I'm sure I'm missing some things too!

Is there anything else you couldn't live without during your first trimester???

7 comments:

Learning Life with Mrs. Worthington! said...

For my first trimester, and sorry, let me preface this by saying it is GROSS....My husband would pack a bad for car rides that had wet wipes, plastic bags, chewing gum and water in it for me..! I would get so sick if we traveled more than 10 miles (seriously) and it came in very handy for those times when pulling over (curvey roads with no shoulders..welcome to country living) was just not an option! Again, sorry, it isn't pretty information, but it is factual! :)

Brooke said...

Tylenol! I had the worst headaches ever.

Brooke said...

And you are REALLY going to love that Snoogle in trimester 3! :)

michelle ellis said...

What a great list! I agree with ALL of those things for the first trimester, and all I would add is coco butter. I started using it early so that it would be habit when I started getting bigger and bigger. Now, at 32 weeks, I couldn't imagine missing a day! I put it on from my toes to my shoulders. No stretch marks yet *fingers crossed*

Renda said...

Thank you so much ! I am not expecting but this is amazing and helpful for gifts too!

MJ @ MD School Mrs said...

So funny - I was just talking to a friend who's preggy and she was saying that she kicked her husband out of bed the other day after he used Listerine...the smell of the alcohol in it almost sent her over the edge!

Brittany Ann said...

Candied ginger and ginger tea. Saved this morning-sick mama.

 

© 2011. All Rights Reserved. | Custom Blog Design By Penny Lane Designs