Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Book Club

A couple weeks ago my friend Shawna and I decided to start a book club. It's one of those things we've been talking about for years and just never did. Please tell me you do the same thing, and I'm not the only one who procrastinates on planning fun stuff like book clubs or vacations. Anyway, we decided to meet twice during the course of this Fall because we're just getting our literary feet wet, and plus, I live in Kansas and we're getting together at my Mom's house in Missouri. So we picked a book, The Secret Life of Bees, and I designed some invitations that went out in the mail last week.


Actually, choosing a book was the hardest part of the entire process because we decided we wanted something:
a) 300 pages or less
b) something that had chapter discussion questions (in the Secret Life of Bees there's some printed in the back of the book - score!)
c) a book we had never read before
d) and the author had to be available to sit with us over tea to discuss her work. Oh I'm kidding, I'm not Oprah.

So, our little club meets for the first time in about a month! Have any of you read this book? Are you active in a book club?

6 comments:

BeckyJo606 said...

I read The Secret Life of Bees a couple of years ago after a friend practically begged me to! I absolutely looooved the book! Your invitations are too cute--what a fantastic idea! :)

michelle ellis said...

How cute are you??? I'm not in a book club, but would love to be. Those invites are adorable!

Alissa said...

What a cute idea! No I've never done a book club before but I've always been intrigued by the idea. I might have to get on that bandwagon too haha.

Monica said...

what a cute idea- wish I lived closer! I would love to be in a book club- we should try to start a virtual book club!!

Sarah said...

I love love LOVED the Secret Life Of Bees! Great 1st book choice!

Mrs. Carioca said...

I love that book, it's one of my favorites!

 

© 2011. All Rights Reserved. | Custom Blog Design By Penny Lane Designs