Monday, August 9, 2010

Pet Fence

This weekend Joe and I spent almost 12 hours installing an invisible pet fence in our yard. We had been  having so many problems with Boomer escaping from the fence we had up (where our new patio is now!).

For example, two weeks ago we put him in the fence so we could go watch Inception and we came home and he was sitting on our front porch waiting for us when we got home. When he gets out he never goes too far because he has it too good here at home! Ha! But I have spent so much time worrying about him getting hit on the road by our house. It's out in the country and people drive pretty fast. So, after weighing many options, we decided an invisible fence was the best for us. Here's the one we ordered:


So Saturday Joe and I spent nine hours lying the wires 3 inches into the ground around the perimeter of our backyard. That's almost 600 feet of wire! And we had to get on our hands and knees and bury it inch by inch! It was the leg workout to beat all leg workouts!! Ha!

Basically, Boomer wears a special collar and it beeps when he gets near the wire boundary that's marked with little flags. You can also set it up to give him a tiny shock "stimulation" when he crosses it. I was worried about him getting shocked and being in pain so I actually put the collar on my wrist and let it shock me! Ha! For right now, we are going to train him to steer clear of the boundary when he hears the tone and hope we don't have to use the stimulation AT ALL. You can eliminate the shock by putting little rubber stoppers inside the collar, which we did. But seriously, I don't know any other way to keep him safely in our yard and out of danger of getting hit by a car :( He jumps over regular fences and our HOA dictates what type of fence we can have.

I'll keep you updated on how it goes!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I think that's what I need for Wilson... I am constantly worrying about him getting brave and finding a way out!!

Brittany Ann said...

We had to do the same thing for the exact same reason with my dog Marvin.

Luckily, after one shock, he learned. And he never had to test it again.

Unfortunately, to test the fence, my husband shocked himself three times.

Turns out Marvin is smarter:)

Annie said...

I'm so proud of you for shocking yourself first! What a good pet owner ;-)

 

© 2011. All Rights Reserved. | Custom Blog Design By Penny Lane Designs