Friday, April 23, 2010

The Story of How We Met

Show Us Your Life is back and I'm participating this week to share the story of how Joe and I met.

We met the very first week of college at the University of Oklahoma.

We were both from Missouri and six hours away from our family and didn't know a soul!

I met his roommate first at a lunch "mixer" during move-in week to the dorms. I remember there were signs on all the door room doors with everyone's name and saying to myself "I wonder who this Joe guy is" when we were at his dorm room. He moved in that night. Our new group of friends, including Joe's roommate, decided to hang out later that evening and he invited Joe along.

The rest is history! We had so much in common because we actually grew up 45 minutes away from each other.

This is the earliest pictures we have of each other. I remember my roommate took it with a disposable camera. Isn't that so early-2000s?!? Ha!

Without Joe I don't think I would have made it through college. I'm not saying that to be sappy, I literally couldn't remember how to get to the cafeteria or to the Union. I had to practice walking to my classes before the first day of school. Bless my heart, I grew up in a town of 250 people and I was LOST. Ha! And poor Joe, he probably didn't know how to let me down gently so he just kept helping me through.

Joe and I would meet every single day for lunch for three years. I would walk all the way across campus to meet him. I think I walked on clouds :) We drove home together for all the weekend trips and holidays.

Joe graduated with his undergraduate degree in three years and I was crushed at the thought that he might find a medical school somewhere far away. But he decided to stay in Oklahoma and go to medical school.

We got engaged exactly three years to the date of our first date, September 19, 2005.

We got married on July 3, 2006. It was the best day of my life!


Happy Friday! I can't wait to hear your stories. Don't you love hearing how people met?? My grandparents met at a Halloween party. My parents met at a line dancing lesson. Love it.

13 comments:

Flannery said...

That is such a cute story. My boyfriend and I were college sweethearts too!

Kathy said...

great story! my hubs and I met in college too! =)

Kathy

Jessica Bene said...

I love, love that wedding picture. So sweet!

Heather said...

I love that y'all were college sweethearts, I love hearing that people make it work through that part of your life! I LOVE that wedding picture, beautiful!

Newlywed Next Door said...

Cute story! Love the early 2000s pic too.

We met in college too - first week of our Jr. year. :)

michelle ellis said...

What a sweet story! I LOVE that wedding picture - so pretty!

ty said...

I love that story ... and I TOTALLY recognize those dorms!!! hahaha, geez.

Unknown said...

That is a GREAT story... and that picture of you two on your wedding... oh my goodness - you two are just BEAMING! I love it... awwww.... love love :)
Happy Friday my friend!!

Brian and Sarah said...

I love your story, maybe because it is so similar to mine! My husband and I met in 2002 at OU as well, and have some of the best memories of Norman! Your dorm picture looks like some of mine - I lived in Tarmen.

Shoshanah said...

I definitely remember freshmen year checking out the name tags to see if there were any hot guy names on the floor! Glad to hear I wasn't the only one. Although there weren't any good prospects for me. And I found your story through Kelly's Korner

Teresa @ Grammy Girlfriend said...

Great story....
Happy Sunday. I have a few hours to blog hop ......so glad that I stopped here....Be sure and stop by and read about a miracle in our family....
http://teresa-grammygirlfriend.blogspot.com/2010/04/i-think-god-smiled.html
http://grammyababychangeseverything.blogspot.com/

Sarah said...

Awww you were such a beautiful bride, i love that picture!

sarah @ life {sweet} life said...

You guys are so cute in your first picture! Disposable cameras - those were the day! I love that picture from your wedding...so beautiful! :)

 

© 2011. All Rights Reserved. | Custom Blog Design By Penny Lane Designs