Thursday, January 7, 2010

A Day In The Life

Joe was feeling much better today after what appears to have been food poisining (darn hospital cafeteria panini!!) so he went on to work. This month he's doing a Nephrology rotation. I hope I spelled that right, and yes, I had to ask him what that is (kidneys, apparently!) The schedule is really light so he was home by lunch. We loaded Boomer up in the car and made a trip to PetCo because we are out of dog food and I always bring Joe because we buy in bulk! Ha!


I was glad Joe was with me because we had a.. ahem.. Code Brown inside the store.

And moving on.

Tonight for dinner I made something I think you HAVE to TRY if you
a) like spicy food
b) like Mexican food
c) are looking for a healthy meal that doesn't taste like a carrot stick!

Spicy Chicken Tacos

Ingredients:
1 tsp chili powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp ground black pepper
cayenne (as much as you like depending on how spicy you want)
1 lb. skinless, boneless chicken breasts
cooking spray (or I use olive oil)
corn tortillas
green cabbage, thinly sliced
Monterrey Jack cheese, shredded
sour cream
salsa

Prepare grill, George Foreman or skillet. Combine chili powder, cumin, pepper and cayenne in a bowl. Cut chicken into bite sized pieces and rub the mix over the chicken (don't be too liberal because it will be way too spicy!) Grill the chicken. Heat tortillas and fill with toppings.

Sometimes I double the seasoning mix and I also play with different toppings. Since tomatoes are out of season, tonight I used carrots and chives with the cheese, salsa and sour cream.

Yum!

These are in the weekly rotation around our house!

We ate our tacos while watching the college football championship. We decided to root for Alabama. We both graduated from OU so it is in our crimson blood to hate Texas. Ha! The first OU football game Joe and I ever went to was the first OU home football game of the 2002 season. We were both freshmen and we played Alabama. I got SO sunburned and I also tried so hard to pretend I knew everything about football to impress Joe. Ladies, the trick is to clap when everyone else does! Ha!

Speaking of Alabama, did you see this cute girl in the stands? Honey, love the jacket. I don't know that I would have considered houndstooth for a football game but it totally works!!!
(Update: Hubby tells me that wearing houndstooth is an Alabama tradition. I only wish OU would start a fashionable tradition like this!)

One of my favorite people in the world, my friend Jill emailed me yesterday and asked when was too early to start putting Valentine's Day decorations up. Now! I say it's never too early. I love the pink. I went ahead and set out my pink zebra napkins I got for a quarter at a garage sale.

4 comments:

Brittney said...

Ha. I can't help but giggle about the code brown.

Oh, and those tacos sound amazing! Ours are always so boring, I need to add a little spice to them. Thanks for the recipe!

Mrs. Carioca said...

What a cute dog! What kind is he?

Unknown said...

Glad you had the boy with you! haha I always bring my pup with me, too.

Brittany said...

Mrs. Carioca ~ he's a Brittany Spaniel. My husband lives with two Brittanys, me and the dog. ha!!

 

© 2011. All Rights Reserved. | Custom Blog Design By Penny Lane Designs