Friday, January 15, 2010

Weight Loss Tips

I could probably put a book together on weight loss tips and ideas I've gathered over the years and I have literally been pretty much every weight on the scale! ha! When I got married in 2006 I had a huge wake up call and realized I wanted to look good AND feel good on my wedding day!

So... I'm joining Kelly's Korner Show Us Your Life tour and sharing my own weight loss tips and things that have worked for ME.

TIPS FOR EATING RIGHT:
1. My trainer used to tell me - NEVER deprive yourself of something you're craving. Have your splurge then get back on track. because the good Lord knows I could never live without chocolate anyway!!
2. Eat a good breakfast. Coffee doesn't count. Not even Dunkin' Donuts coffe, which is my personal favorite!
3. Diets that totally cut out carbs, sugar or any of the major food groups (and sugar is definitely one of my major food groups) usually don't work. No one can maintain that. You really think you're going to avoid bread the rest of your life?!
4. Take a multi-vitamin.
5. Don't OBSESS over your calories - I used to try to count calories and I would be so consumed by adding everything ("how many calories are in this tablespoon of ketchup?!?) and keeping a running tally in my mind that it would overtake my day. Now I try to make good decisions and just enjoy my food!

TIPS FOR WORKING OUT:
1. Find a workout that you enjoy. This has been SO life changing for me because I used to think you had to run an hour on the treadmill to be in shape. Well, honey, there are many, many other workouts out there! I get bored easy and I'm a little crazy anyway so I enjoy these:

BOSU (Both Sides Up), basically a half-ball that you jump, step and move around on. Fun and it keeps your core strong!!

Spin class - I love it.

Yoga Booty Ballet Cardio Burlesque DVD workout - so fun it doesn't even feel like you're working out!


2. Don't obsess over the scale. I'll be honest with you, I used to be so obsessed with the scale that I would weigh myself after a meal, after using the restroom, etc. Isn't that ridiculous? I got the scale out of our bathroom and I'm much happier.
3. It's important to lift weights too. Start with the big muscle groups and then move to the smaller ones. Or do compound moves (where you work several muscle groups at once) and get an even bigger bang for your buck!

If you've ever had to "get back on the bandwagon" you should know that I've been there too! I broke and dislocated my hip over a year ago and I had to start with learning to walk all over again. If I can do it, you totally CAN!!!

5 comments:

Claire said...

Some great tips! That DVD looks awesome!

Cxx

Lakeshore Cottage Living said...

I am going to have to check out yoga booty ballet...that looks like fun.

Great job on your weight loss. I too have lost about 4 pounds....of my 20 pound goal. It comes back on quickly so I have GOT to be careful and get into a routine..you know?

Have a great weekend!

Kristine

karen@fitnessjourney said...

Wonderful tips-especially to find something you enjoy doing. Who is going to stick with something they hate, right?

Ams said...

Just popped onto your blog from Lives of Doctor's Wives... looking forward to reading more :)

Joseph Johann Pena said...

Hi Kristin, your photo of the treadmill with clothes hanging :) appeared on google search images and brought me to your blog..

I'm doing a presentation about fitness in a public setting and asking permission if I can use that photo as part of my slides?

Thanks in advance!

Joseph

 

© 2011. All Rights Reserved. | Custom Blog Design By Penny Lane Designs